My sea glass mobile is complete. It took a bit of patience and four types of glue to successfully put it together.
After I chose a piece of driftwood to use as a base, I added some cup hooks to the top, and a length of hemp tied onto these as a hanger. To string the glass to the driftwood my best choice seemed to be staples from a heavy-duty staple gun.
I tried rubber cement first. I taped my eight pieces of fishing line onto a board with masking tape. The next step was gluing the glass to the line.
- Largest piece of sea glass daubed with glue and placed beneath the line
- Middle piece of glass glued on top of line and pressed firmly to bottom piece of glass.
- Top piece of glass glued onto the middle. Let dry for 24 hours.
When the strings were dry I tied them onto the mobile and trimmed away the excess line. The mobile looked great, but oh my, in the near hundred degree heat of July, the pieces of glass slid down the lines and shattered on the cement floor of my back porch.
I tried gorilla glue next. Big Mistake! The glue was not clear and bubbled up and out of the confines of the glass edges, completely spoiling the glass I used.
Believe it or not, I had a bit of success with glue dots, but the heat of the porch allowed a few of the pieces to slide down the fishing line. By the time I used the glue dots I had gotten a bit smarter and only glued a few pieces together as an experiment.
Finally, I had success with a glue called Goop. Goop lived up to the promises on its package and within twenty-four hours my mobile was hanging on my porch, in high heat, intact, and glowing in the sun. I’m so glad I persevered.