Most of last summer’s geraniums were over-wintered in a box in my basement. I had only a 25% success rate with this method. Happily, the one geranium that succeeded in staying green was my Martha Washington geranium. The others looked more like the photograph below, completely lifeless.
No matter how far down I cut along the stem, I found little trace of green or possible viability.
I had better success with the potted geranium. In the Fall, I found it very easy to pick the pot up off its stand and transport it into the house. No matter that the leaves had a inchworm stowaway. He ate only a little bit of greenery.
The plant has bloomed luxuriantly in a sunny window giving me many moments of joy when I walk into the room it grows in.
The geranium isn’t about to stop giving me moments of bliss with its bright flowers. This is a photograph of a new bud I took yesterday. The success of the plant has made up my mind where the coming summer is concerned. I will grow all the geraniums in pots, and in the Autumn bring them inside to cheer up the house all winter long. Happy Gardening!