In January I walked the woods and searched my yard for anything leafy or green to press. I found an assortment of items, you can read the post about my search and what I found here: January Pressings
This week I used my pressings to create a sweet fairy dress. The whimsical side of my nature was quite pleased with the result. The picture measures 5 x 7, and is bordered with words cut from a children’s paperback. I used an old book that was yellowed with age. This enabled the words to blend into the mulberry paper and create an aged look.
The materials I used to create my fairy dress were a piece of 5 x 7 beige mulberry paper and an instant grab glue.
Two additional tools I use for pressed flower work are a paintbrush, good for lifting fragile flowers, and a pearl floral pin, perfect for running a small amount of glue beneath an errant edge.
I began my designing by cutting a bodice top and waist into an ash leaf. Remembering that most fairy dresses have the look of the ethereal about them, I cut a slit up the front of the skirt in order to take away the impression of heaviness and formality.
I added a decorative edge of trimmed lamium leaves, a sprig of moss, and the lace-like petals of a spent sage flower.
To give the dress an airy look I created a peplum ruffle out of moss sprigs and a belt out of a cut ivy leaf.
I crafted a hat out of the top of the ash leaf, adding a jaunty sprig of moss and flower petals.
I adore the shoes. They are cobbled out of one ivy leaf and sport some lacy sage flower petals.
The handbag is composed of an ivy leaf and sage petals. A moss sprig handle adds a touch of greenery. I used the backside of the ivy for the top of the bag, and the front of the same leaf, pointed edge cut away, for the bottom.
So much fun…yesterday I went out to collect for February’s fairy dress, alas, there is very little out there. The snow and frigid temperatures of winter haven’t left much for pressing. I plan to go out again soon and make a more thorough search…updates will follow.